Join date: Jun 8, 2022


The FAFSA for U.S. Students Who are Studying Abroad

Many students in the United States consider studying abroad, either for a short term or for getting a degree at an international college. But what you might not know is that under certain circumstances, you might be eligible for federal aid.

If you plan to study abroad for a semester or get your entire college degree outside of the United States, you may be assignment help online able to use federal student aid to pay for your expenses. During the fall and spring semesters, each course lasts seven and a half weeks. During the first seven and a half weeks, students take the "A" part of each level, and during the second seven and a half weeks, they take the "B" part. In the summer, students take the "A" part during the first five week session and the "B" part during the second five week session. The type of aid you get will depend on the type of program (study abroad or full degree) and the international colleges you plan to enter.

Here’s a short Q&A that should help you understand how to apply and use financial aid when attending college abroad.

Q. What are the requirement for a student to borrow a federal student loan for attendance at a foreign institution?

A. In order to be eligible for aid at a college outside of the United States you must meet the following requirements:

The student must be enrolled as a “regular” student in an eligible program at an eligible foreign institution

The student must be qualified to study at a post-secondary level (high school diploma or GED)

The student must be enrolled at least half-time in order to receive aid

The student must make satisfactory academic progress

The student must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen to be eligible for federal student aid

The student must have a correct social security number

The student must not be in default on any Title IV program loan

Q. How do you apply for federal student aid to study in another country?

A. To apply for aid, the student must complete the FAFSA. Once the aid is approved, it will be dispersed from the U.S Treasury to the international school’s designated bank.

Q. If you are attending a foreign school through a study abroad program sponsored by a U.S. school, do you apply for aid through the foreign school?

A. Federal student aid for a short term, or a study abroad program is processed by the student’s home college.

More Resources

Change Your Career Path by Studying Online

Implementation of Common Core Standards Varies

How to write a detective

To write a story for children

How to write an outline for an essay


More actions